Kayaking Season: CLOSED
Public kayaking to begin with sufficient river flow (approximately May)
Follow us on Facebook for season opening updates
Scenic Kayaking on the Salt River: Unguided/Open to the Public
There is no better way to enjoy the cool water, escape the summer heat, and marvel at the beautiful wilderness that is the Tonto National Forest than to go kayaking on the Lower Salt River! As you float down the Salt River below thousand-foot cliffs and beside majestic saguaros in the Sonoran Desert, keep your eyes open. You could see wild horses, deer, great blue herons, osprey, bald eagles, and other native wildlife. These sit-on-top kayaks are very stable and easy to maneuver; after a fifteen-minute orientation, even beginners are ready to go! This is scenic floating on the Salt River, with just enough ripples to get you wet.
River Kayak Prices & Information:
For beginners and those looking for a few hours of fun in the great outdoors, we offer the Foxtail Trip, which takes approximately two hours and covers around five miles. Hardcore paddlers who want to experience the full river should consider the four-and-a-half-hour trip to Granite Reef (~ 13 miles). Trips are not guided.
- Foxtail Trip – approximately 2 hours $40
- Granite Reef Trip – approximately 4.5 hours $70
Saguaro Lake Mesa Kayaking 4.5 Hour Granite Reef Trip
(Granite Reef: 8AM launch ONLY, pick-up at 1PM, trip subject to water levels, call to inquire)
- Return courtesy shuttle in one of our air-conditioned vans.
- Rental includes single-person kayak, paddle, life vest, and orientation.
- Every day of the week
- Launch times: 8AM, 9AM, 10AM (7AM & 11AM, call to inquire)
Reservation & Kayaking Information:
- Reservations are required.
- Previous kayaking experience is not required.
- Please arrive 30 minutes early for check-in and a 15-minute orientation.
- Frenzy kayaks have a 275-pound weight limit.
- Minimum age is 12 years old.
- You will get wet, so wear appropriate attire and bring sun block!
- No alcohol or glass.
- No outside kayaks, you must use SLR equipment.
- Water shoes or tennis shoes highly recommended.
- Bring water!
Feel free to book from this webpage! If you have any questions about kayaking the Salt River or Saguaro Lake, please call us at 480-984-2194.
Groups (20-person minimum): We welcome groups at Saguaro Lake Ranch for tubing or kayaking, please call to book!
Private Launch Information:
Have your own kayak? Launch at Saguaro Lake Ranch! Guests MUST check in at the office for a parking pass and MUST retrieve vehicle by 3PM.
- Parking: $10 (includes ONE launch)
- Launch Fee: $5 per kayak
SLR: Kayaking Release
Tubing Information: HERE